Sunday, April 16, 2006

The last chapter is the hardest one (resent)

June 15, 2004

Fie Fie,

This will be the last correspondence you will receive from me while
I reside in the wonderful world of
China. Through forces
beyond my control, the fates have decided to prematurely send me
away from my fantasy world. A word of advice for you future world
trekkers, never book your tickets through a travel agent.
Especially through Cyndy Burdige at Bruce Travel whose negligence
now forces me away (single tear).

However, do not fret, for I am enjoying my last days with a mighty
passion. The last time I left you, I was up in the Tibetan mountains
struggling to breath.
Tibet was a different world. Overall, the
experience was mama huhu (just okay).
Lhasa was a very
depressing place. Question for you: what happens after you invade
a country and for 50 years systematically destroy a people’s culture,
traditions, religion and culture. Answer: Something that looks like
modern day
Lhasa. Not only does it have the highest percentage of
child beggars that I have ever seen but now the Chinese have
succeeded in segregating the remaining tibetans into their own
small ghetto. How quaint.

When I left,
Lhasa was when the interesting things started
happening. I was fortunate enough to witness a "Sky Burial" which
is a traditional Tibetan burial ceremony. They have some logistical
problems in
Tibet. The main problem is that they have very little
arable land and burnable substances, so how do Tibetans get rid of
a deceased Tibetan when they cannot bury or burn a corpse. Well,
they slice up the body and feed it to vultures of course. I have
never seen a dead body before. I was lucky then to see four dead
Tibetans. The details of the procedure will be saved for later
conversation, but just think, it only takes 20 minutes for 80
vultures to devour a human body.

Speaking of near funerals, I almost had my own brush with death.
No silly, not on my scooter. I was enjoying a lively evening on the
town, at one of the popular discothèques, when I was brusquely
shoved to the side by a dissatisfied patron. I thought for good
measure I should confront this rabble-rouser and show him what 4
months of Sanda will do. But no sooner do I turn, than this
fiend is wielding a 3 foot long Katana sword waving it in the air
with a face bright red. At this point, I run. I am no hero nor do I
believe that being impaled will help in my future. With a curt cry
the cretin clambers into the club. There are screams and divulge
of people exit. The final brawl was between the bouncer (holding a
bar stool) and the swordsman. What is
China turning into?

Although it is sad to leave the life I have started here, I do believe
that I am ready to face the real world once again. A land where you
can live in upper middle class Chinese housing for a $100 a month,
drive a motor scooter without a permit and where a native English
speaker's biggest problem is whether to go out for Japanese or
Korean food is a place outside reality.

In a week from this day, June 22nd, I will be back on
Cape Cod. I
got a gig working as a construction worker. To all you American
friends, we will soon be in contact. To all you Chinese friends (be
you Chinese or cracker) I am sure our paths will meet again.

Sincerely Semper Fi,


Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home